Tuesday 16 July 2013

A few weeks off before the end of the season

Since my last post and the CALTAF meet things have been pretty busy for me.  After taking a week to myself to work on the ITU World Cup Triathlon in Edmonton I started hitting the gym and had a really great session with Rob at the track that included about 70 throws (mostly to work on form through my final two cross steps). 

It has been raining like crazy for the last little while in Edmonton and after the Edmonton international Track classic two major track facilities were torn up to prep for improvements, 2014 nationals and an up coming Pan am games bid (so I have heard).  Needless to say track space has been limited.

I have not talked alot about the elbow pain I was having earlier in the season.  Turns out it is very common in throwers, especially ones with poor form.  Well minimal throwing over the past few weeks have halped so much in giving my arm a break.  This weekend is Alberta Provincial championships and our club is hosting the event.  I am looking forward to a new seasonal best distance and having some close family and friends onsite to watch. 

I occassionally follow an australian blog and came accross a great quote that really sat with me:

"It’s amazing as people how we try and talk ourselves out of doing things that we know we want to. It’s self sabotage of a the highest order. If we somehow convince ourselves that something is too hard or too much of a risk, we find it easier to avoid challenging ourselves. The sad truth is that subconsciously we would rather avoid the challenge of achieving something than risking failure in our attempt. Fear inhibits what we achieve in life and I could feel the battle in the my head begin."

                    Sebastian Terry   via 100things.com.au

It would have been easy for me to remain with triathlon.  I would have had success but would I have been happy and excited about what I was doing?  It is scary to change your athletic way of thinking after 11 years.  Taking the challenge and stepping off that ledge was definately worth it and I dont regret it for a second.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment