Friday 26 July 2013

End of Season

This past weekend was Capital Cities annual Sherwood Park classic. This year the meet also served as Alberta Provincial Championships.  Knowing that this was going to be my last meet of the season I wanted to have a good day and reach a new seasonal best distance. 

About 5 days before the meet I was in my garage and threw a backpack into the back of my Xterra and as I twisted I slipped a rib.  No fun for anyone who has done it.  I have done it before so I knew exactly what the issue was, and how bad for throwing it could be.  Luckily it was monday and I have a great chiropractor who I have been seeing for almost 7 years.  Three adjustments throughout the week, some groovy over the counter drugs and I was feeling better. 

As our club was hosting the meet, I was required to volunteer some of my time to the event.  I brought my parents along and the three of us spent the day helping to measure various throwing events.  Lot's of fun, but by the time I was in the final few rounds of throwing in my event, I was getting pretty hungary and tired. 

I had a great warm up and came out with a seasonal best first throw of 43.5m.  After that things declined with every throw.  43.5 was good enough for second place and a silver medal. 

One of my major goals at the beginning of the season was to reach new seasonal bests at every meet.  Out of the 5 events I attended, I obtained seasonal bests in 4 of them. 

Another goal was to throw 50m this year.  I did not make it to 50m this year but I know that a full off season of dedicated throw training will get me far beyond the 50m mark next season.  Hopefully even up to 60m so that I can qualify for nationals in Edmonton!!

This year was a great experience and I had such a great time training and competing.  Meeting new peers on the track was also a nice change.  I love my triathlon friends but it was nice to change things up this year. 

It is very strange for me to be talking about the end of season in late July.  I will actually get to have some hot summer time off without the pressures of training and dedicating time to workouts.  I am sure the family wont mind either.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment